By day, Steve Brinder is a school teacher, who is loved by his students. By night, he is a brilliant stand up comedian, whose brand of wry social commentary wins over even the most hardened audiences. He has combined both careers to create the perfect marriage of humour and social commentary. His material comes directly from the class room and from the heart.
Steve Brinder’s work has won accolades from entertainment industry veterans, appearances on CBC’s “Comics!”, and at comedy festivals across North America, including the world-renowned Halifax and Winnipeg Comedy Festivals. He has also toured with Jay Leno, Jim Carey, and Howie Mandel. What makes Brinder unique among his peers is that he never gave up his day job. And that day job, as a substitute teacher, provides him with an endless stream of material, and the ability to be funny, without being mean. That makes Steve the perfect choice for corporate and association events. His humour has broad appeal, touching on school, relationships, family life and work, but it never crosses the line into offensive or gratuitous. Working from laborious research, Brinder, on stage, displays his insatiable curiosity, his sharp intelligence, and his genuine affection and respect for humanity. ‘He’s bright, touching ‘ hilarious’ says The Toronto Star. ‘Steve Brinder has the rare talent to make us laugh at ourselves’.’ Says Downtown Magazine, Rochester New York.
Television / Film / Radio
- Halifax Comedy Festival – CBC
- Winnipeg Comedy Festival – CBC
- Comics – CBC
- Evening at the Improv – A & E
- Test of Faith – Global TV
- Canada After Dark – CBC
- Not Necessarily The Opera – CBC Radio
- Madly Off In All Directions – CBC Radio
Keynotes and Speaking Topics
- Tales From the Class Room: The Comedy of Steve Brinder. This keynote is of course ideally suited for education groups, and he can do an entire set devoted entirely to his life as a substitute grade school teacher. He is perfect for teachers who need to hear from someone who knows what life in the classroom is like, and can help them both to laugh at the trials and tribulations of the profession, and be inspired by the impact they have on the lives of our children.
- Life is just a Further Extension of the Classroom: Lessons We Have Forgotten Along The Way. This is a keynote for any audience. Some of the very things that companies spend millions of dollars trying to train people to do, most of us already learned, and practiced daily, when we were in grade school. From the importance of listening to others, sharing what we have and being fair, to the progress we can make by paying attention to both our creative and rational sides, Steve touches on some of the most elemental truths to remind us all what it takes to be successful. With a deft touch and down-to-earth sense of humour, he is an ideal guide to the lessons that we all once learned, but have forgotten as time and responsibility have taken their toll. This talk will uplift, inspire and energize any audience.
Stage Appearances With
- Jay Leno
- Jim Carey
- Howie Mandel
- “He doesn’t do funny one-liners. He tells a story. It’s all very real and personal. He hits close to home, his material is dynamite”. – Toronto Sun
- “I have never heard a room full of teachers laugh so loud for so long! You were perfect.” – L. Hockley, York Region Elementary Teachers
- “Steve Brinder has the rare talent to make us laugh at ourselves’.” – Downtown Magazine, Rochester, New York
- “His antics have you rolling in laughter. His delivery is natural and witty. He interacts with the audience and everyone feels at home. After he takes you to the brink of happy tears he validates, with insightful reasoning, that what you do in the classroom everyday can make the difference in a child’s life.” – S. Tingley, President NBTA Elementary Council
- “I could barely catch my breath!” – B. Zaifman, Zed Group Investments
- “What a wonderful night of comedy you provided us with. You were the hit of our conference ‘ your comedy is timeless.” – S. Achmus, Executive Officer, Elementary Teachers of Ontario
- “You were extremely entertaining. Your professionalism on and off the stage and polished presentation made such a difference to our recent fundraiser.” – L. Durocher, Cambridge Chamber of Commerce
- “Wonderful entertainment ‘ we could all personally relate to your anecdotes about your experiences as a supply teacher in classrooms from kindergarten to high school. I’ve had a tremendous amount of positive feedback from our members.” – A. Smith, ETFO Officer, Upper Grand Elementary Teachers Assoc.
- “A job well done ‘ really nice dimension of warmth and humor.” – J. Jackson, Producer, YTV Productions
- “Your comedy act at our recent dinner was hilarious ‘ We heard nothing but positive comments about you ‘ It was a terrific evening.” – D. Bloomer, D. Samalea, Program Coordinators, Centennial College
- “Canada’s Funniest Teacher!” – B. Chabai, His-Hers Magazine